About the Organisation and Job
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr, is seeking a talented addition to their legal team, to help us navigate a variety of issues that they come across every day.
They looking for a versatile team player who gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple and can offer strategic advice to help Automattic build and do great things for our vibrant community of users. This is the ideal role for someone who wants to shape legal and business strategy for a dynamic and rapidly growing company while helping to make the internet a better place.
The best part about this job is its unpredictability. There are no “typical days,” and you embrace that. In this role, some of the things you might do are:
- Advice on and help teams implement solutions for a broad assortment of regulations and industry standards, with a focus on those related to intellectual property, marketing and advertising, consumer protection, terms of service, and user-generated content
- Keep our terms of service and other user policies current as legal guidelines and our products change.
- Help us manage our international litigation, and work with counsel in implementing our strategy and vision.
- Collaborate with our Trust & Safety team on cutting edge, user-centred policies for protecting freedom of expression, user safety, and intellectual property online, along with handling requests from law enforcement.
- Protect our brand and technology through IP protection and enforcement worldwide.
- Design processes that enable teams to scale, such as standardizing resources and tools for common legal issues.
- Cheerfully help all Automatticians clear legal hurdles that arise in their jobs.
- Have 5-10 years’ experience in a fast-paced, technology-centric environment. A law degree is not required for this role.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business including intellectual property, freedom of expression, UGC, consumer protection, marketing, litigation, and open source licensing. Bonus points for the breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Are business-minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos; we solve problems and get things done.
- Are humble. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have grit. What’s been most rewarding and meaningful for you professionally isn’t the work that was easiest.
- Have a healthy sense of humour and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate independently. You’re a self-starter who can roll up your sleeves.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
How to Apply?
To apply for the job post of Legal Policy & Operations Wrangler, click here.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell them about one or more of the following:
- A law impacting the open internet that vexes you, and how you would fix it.
- What you wish government officials and courts knew about the internet and technology.
- Something you worked on that you are especially proud of, and why it fueled your passion for work.